Thursday, September 23, 2010

Digital Literacy Overview in Prezi Form

I'm glad to see many in our class playing with Prezi (as Andrew did recently). The visual nature of Prezi is far superior to PowerPoint. It is not tied down to sequence as PowerPoint is (one can pan around, zoom in and out, interrupt following a set path, etc.). It is more open to uses of space, movement, size, and orientation, too. For me, it isn't so much a presentation tool as it is a thinking tool. I reconceive of my topic while struggling to represent it using the formal features that Prezi favors.

Here's a first draft of a presentation about digital literacy that I put into Prezi form (for a presentation I'm giving to some English majors this week). What do you think? Part of what helped me here was recasting each of the three C's (consume-create-connect) into a set of questions. The visuals set up some parallelisms and symbolic relationships that I liked. I'm interested in your feedback before I take it further. Oh, and I've also set it up as public and licensed for re-use. Take a copy of it and revise, remix, or rework it on your own, if you like.



9 comments:

jakydigiciv said...

I tried to look at this Prezi but the Prezi box says, "Forbidden: no right to view the prezi".

Sarah Wills said...

For the in-class prezi presentations I sometimes get lost amidst all the moving around that prezi does and often wish for a clearer visual aid that I can take a snapshot in my mind with. Perhaps prezi has what I am looking for, but i haven't been overly enthralled with it yet.

Frostbite said...

I'm having the same problem as jaky.

LeeAnne said...

I can't see it either. I also agree with Sarah, that sometimes it moves in and out too much that you can't seem to focus on what's going on.

I do, however, like the style Prezi has to offer. It's very pleasing to the eye.

Rhett Ferrin said...

Prezi is cool. I couldn't see the 'forbidden' slide show either but I like how flexible prezi is. I am a finance major and see powerpoint presentations all day and when I give one, they usually have to be as boring as possible because finance as a rule is conservative.

Outside of finance however, I believe prezi gives you a unique and fairly advanced way to spice up your presentations. Im sure people will be thinking your a tech genius is you use prezi.

Gideon Burton said...

The setting has been changed so that you can now view this Prezi publicly.

You should explore some of the many presentations showcased on the Prezi.com site. I don't think some of you yet really appreciate how incredible this tool is. Every tool has its limits. This one, too. But conceptually it is light years ahead of static, sequential tools like PowerPoint.

Here's the link again: http://prezi.com/vwcrtljq9jj0/digital-literacy/

Unknown said...

My brother is at the Air Force Academy, and he sometimes gets what he calls "death by PowerPoint"--staring for hours at a screen as the lecturer drones on and on. I don't think they would have such an issue if they used Prezi. I think Prezi not only allows for much more dynamic way of presenting an idea, but also challenges you to think in a different way, which is what this class is all about. I haven't had much experience with Prezi, but I think the challenge will be harnessing all the features in such a way as to make the presentation effective and not overwhelming.

Andrew said...

I've suffered "death by PowerPoint" before here at BYU in the Air Force ROTC. PowerPoint is part of the Air Force culture. Regardless of whether you are using Prezi or PowerPoint, the whole idea is that you are staring at a screen for a long time while somebody is giving a presentation. I think you would suffer death by either if you had to sit there long enough.

Alex Gunnarson said...

I like Prezi much more than PowerPoint or even Apple's Keynote. Keynote dresses up "static, sequential" presentations with high-quality, visually pleasing transitions; PowerPoint doesn't even do that much. But I rather like the zooming around of Prezi—it makes it seem as if each Prezi frame is zooming in on one tiny part of a vast, well-integrated map of sorts which, over the course of the presentation, one absorbs in a clear and logical way.

Post a Comment